Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"I HATE CHOLERA"

Stacey Brown, a registered nurse who works in an ICU in London, Ontario, has made three trips to Haiti to work with Samaritan’s Purse. Stacey (pictured above) wrote the following blog during a recent three-week tour at the Bercy clinic.

I hate cholera. I mean, I really hate it.

Last night I watched a sweet 9-year-old boy doubled over from vomiting on the way to the latrine as the disease made its way through his bowels. As I waited for him to come back I stood and took in the view around me.

I could see into six of the 12 tents. I watched as people rolled over to hang their heads over the side of their beds to vomit. Sometimes it makes the bucket, most times it adds to the already soiled ground around them. Others who had the strength squatted at the bedside, the sound of running water erupting out their bottom. Still others lay on their beds with holes, too frail to squat.

Pride has no place here. Cholera has taken their dignity.


Continue reading here: